Get Involved

Graduate Studies FAQs

What program must I be in to conduct research at the lab during my graduate studies?

A position in this lab is dependent on your acceptance into a graduate program in either the Department of Computer Science or the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto.

Applications to these programs are done through the School of Graduate Studies.

In your application package to the School of Graduate Studies, you can mention your interest in working at the CRL . After which, you can email Dr. Burgner-Kahrs about your choice once you have applied.

Please note that you must be accepted into the Graduate program to join this lab as a researcher; your application to the CRL cannot be evaluated before that happens.

Dr.Burgner-Kahrs has no influence on Graduate program admission decisions.

What type of applicant is the CRL looking for?

The CRL is a small but driven research laboratory. As a result, we are looking for students who are passionate about our specific branch of research and dedicated to progressing the field. Students who do not have a very strong interest in the field of continuum robotics are not likely to be selected.

In terms of skillsets, we are seeking applicants with hands-on experience in as many of the following fields as possible: robotics, systems control, image processing, and C/C++ programming.

Our research is very interdisciplinary, so an adaptability is also a plus.

What should I put in my email to Dr.Burgner-Kahrs

In the title of the email, display clearly that this is regarding a graduate position. For example, the title could read, “Seeking a graduate position at the CRL”. This will greatly help Dr. Burgner-Kahrs see your email amongst the hundreds that she gets daily.

In the body of the email, please explain why you are interested in researching specifically with the CRL. Remember, this is a very competitive position and only applicants with a genuine and strong interest for our research will be selected.

Finally explain why you think you would be a good applicant for this lab. Explain past research, experiences and examples that help show the type of person you are and what your skillset is.

Again, only email once you have applied / been accepted into one of the graduate the programs listed above.

Undergraduate FAQs

Which courses can I take to learn about Continuum Robotics?

CSC476H5S/CSC2606 – Introduction to Continuum Robots

CSC376H5F – Fundamentals of Robotics

Learn more about our courses.

What program must I be in to work as an undergrauate researcher?

To work at the CRL as an undergraduate, students must be enrolled in a program under either the Department of Computer Science or the Department of  Engineering at the University of Toronto.

Which courses can I enroll in to be part of the lab?

CSC399 and CSC499 – These are Research Opportunity Programs (ROPs). Which are Credit courses for supervised participation in faculty research projects. When enrolled in this course, a student would be able to indicate that they want to work at the CRL and would be assigned here.
CSC49X implementation project

ECE499 and MIE498– These are thesis courses, similar to an ROP, where students will be placed in various positions in research at the University of Toronto. It involves includes at least three required deliverables, including a proposal, an interim report, as well as a final thesis

CSC494 and CSC495 – These courses involve involves a significant project in any area of Computer Science. Once enrolled, students can indicate that they would like to work with the CRL.


What awards can I use to work at the lab?

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Undergradiate Student Research Awards

Engineering Science Research Opportunity (ESROP)